PhD Education Program

The Graduate School is a platform for education and discussion through the organisation of lectures and workshops where staff, PhD candidates and (R)MA-students discuss presentations by peers, staff members or guest speakers. Through these meetings and also through regular contact with the researchers the school guards the quality standards.

Objectives

A key objective is to train the PhD candidate to become an independent academic researcher who is able to perform research according to international standards in the discipline. The PhD training program is set up around the following educational goals for the PhD’s:

  1. To broaden archaeological knowledge and expertise outside the specialization of the MA phase, and outside the PhD research topic.
  2. To gain more in-depth knowledge in the individual specialist field.
  3. To acquire and expand practical skills necessary for an efficient execution of archaeological research.
  4. To acquire didactic and presentation skills for enhancing their ability to transmit scientific knowledge and the results of original research.
  5. To be able to participate in the international debate.


PhD program

The PhD program includes:
- a general part, organised by the GSA and the Research School ARCHON (http://www.archonline.nl/)
- a specific part related to the specialization field of the PhD candidate
- courses that are focused on the development of transferable skills
- a ‘personal development plan’, tailored to individual educational wishes and needs
The National Research School of Archaeology ARCHON annually offers 10 EC education for PhD students. (One EC / European Credit point is equivalent of 28 working hours). See: http://www.archonline.nl/

The full PhD educational program: contents 
The recommended GSA PhD program has a volume of ca. 35 EC. This is roughly 15% of the working time: the remaining 85% is dedicated to research. Of these 35, at least 10 EC are meant for personal development and training.
At the start of the PhD position a Training & Supervision Plan (including the personal development plan) is drawn up by the PhD researcher is collaboration with the supervisor. Once a year, at the Annual Review,  Specific individual adjustments and alterations may be determined in agreement with the PhD researcher’s main supervisor and the Graduate School Board.

A.  GSA General education
- Archaeological Forum meetings.
- Epistemology Course. A course for 2nd year RMA and 1st year PhD students.
- Annually (international) workshops and conferences (offered by GSA and ARCHON).
- Graduate School annual PhD presentations days.

B. Specific education directly related to the research topic.

C. Skills development and other courses,  listed in the Personal Development Plan.


Divided over four years  (1 year = 60 EC)

Year 1
5 EC - (International) Workshops and conferences (Archon, GSA)
5 EC - Track seminars
50 EC - Research for and writing of dissertation

Year 2
 
5 EC - (International) Workshops and conferences (Archon, GSA)
5 EC - Personal Development / individual courses / Track seminars                                                                          
50 EC - Research for and writing of dissertation

Year 3
 
5 EC - (International) Workshops and conferences (Archon, GSA)
5 EC - Personal Development / individual courses / Track seminars                                                                          
50 EC - Research for and writing of dissertation

Year 4 
5 EC - (International) Workshops and conferences (Archon, GSA)
55 EC - Writing of the dissertation

An introductory one-day ‘ course’ to welcome new researchers is organised 4 times per year by the University for all starting PhDs: http://phd.leiden.edu/current/generic/about/introductory-meeting.html

Last Modified: 11-06-2013